Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Visiting Friends, Part 1

During the next few weeks, I would like to occasionally feature a few of the talented and generous people I met during my travels. I must begin with Patty who welcomed me in Knoxville, Tennessee. I had stumbled upon her blog (here) and had asked her about guilds and fabric shops in the area…and that’s all it took. She took me to the Thursday Bee and the Smoky Mountain Quilt Guild. In addition, we did a tour of quilt shops and she took me to her home where she has a beautiful studio which was originally the living room of the house--this woman has her priorities straight! 

Not only is Patty a professional hand quilter, but she possesses quite a selection of quilted clothing. I particularly liked her coats of which these are a small sampling. 
A lovely evening coat of velvet.          A sassy blue coat and hat, taken in her studio.
On the outrageously fun side,                  
this coat complete with puffy sleeves
would be suitable for a Renaissance
Faire.                                                       And Patty collects dragons so, of course,
                                                 she made a dragon coat.


Here are a few of her beautiful quilts. Patty has a liking for Hawaiian motifs and everyone knows I have a fondness for appliqué. Hers is impeccable.




                            Patty is prolific. She must have a hundred quilts stored away. 
                                  My heart skips a beat when I look at this square quilt. 
                                    Her circle quilts are equally captivating.        
                                                                          And a closeup. 
                               
                                      This one is titled "3rd Day of the Universe." 
                                     Can you guess Patty's favorite color?


So thank you, Patty, for making my trip to the States memorable. 
Did I have a good time!


16 comments:

Ms. said...

Wonderful way to pay tribute to your friend, and what a wonderful artist she is.

Patty Ashworth said...

Hi Nadia! Thanks for showing some of my things! I had a great time showing you around and getting to know you! Wish you and I lived closer so we could see each other every Thursday! Bee wants you back anytime you get over here!!! Going to go to the Plaid Apron in 2 weekends to eat breakfast with a friend!

You gave me lots of ideas for more projects! Can't stop myself... Patty

Béa said...

Wonderful work, thanks for sharing !

Rachaeldaisy said...

Thank you for introducing us to Patty. Her work is amazing. What a wonderful collection of jackets, each one is so different.

blandina said...

What a wonderful quilter, her work is amazing and so accurate.

O'Quilts said...

Nadia..this is a lovely post. So nice to have friends all over the world via blogland. How about sharing some pictures of your olive trees and the landscape where you live in Tunisia. I want to be able to picture your farm or your house by the sea where you live.

khadijateri said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time. The internet is an amazing way to find friends. :)

Linda said...

Beautiful items, thanks for sharing with all of us!

Lorraine said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog Nadia. Photos are lovely of Patty's work.

dany said...

I like this!!! beautiful dresses and quilts;
Thanks Nadia for your comments in my blog.
bye,
Daniela

suziqu's thread works said...

Hello Nadia
Thanks for visiting and leaving such a lovely comment!
Also thank you for sharing Patty's beautiful quilting and applique.
Wonderful work!
And just going back have enjoyed looking at your gorgeous quilting.
So many hours of lovely creativity.
Hugs,
Suzy

mokrasouth said...

Patty's work is wonderful, as is yours. I so enjoyed spending time with you while you were here and hope to see you again in the future!

Salsy said...

Thanks for sharing Patty's work too Nadia. Love the blue square quilt. Have fun.

barbbouk said...

Hey girl!!! Am not avoiding you - just totally swamped! Let me know when you're available for some chitchat and coffee :-)
And of course, I'm still following your blog, loving every word and picture and wish I could be you! :-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry i have not commented till now, i have been reading your blog for a while now though. It has grow to be component of my morning routine.

Laura said...

Gorgeous idea and quilt. I've made a quilt before so know the tremendous time and effort it takes to make. Really beautiful work. Laura x