Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Garden 2013, 2


Every morning, my kitchen patio greets me cheerfully.
All plants on the patio table (on the left) took up residence elsewhere 
to take advantage of the rain (free, automatic watering system).
The table now contains collections of shells, rusty items, foot rocks, and bird nests. 
The "g" makes me laugh.
The plant table looks resplendent.
Among the new additions, I am particularly pleased with my old smokers 
(originally for beekeeping), of which I had four. 
 I planted them and grouped them on two pieces of marble, 
then sat them on tiles (for height) and added a small rock pile. 
This one reminds me of the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz.
 As I slowly clean out the garage, I come across interesting items to recycle.
This wire box became a sort of shelf when I turned it upside down 
and put it on pieces of marble. 
I found some old cement blocks (easily thirty years old) that exude character. 
My dogs broke one of my bamboo fences so I salvaged a piece. 
An old pot gets a new life.
This funny cactus is called le coussin de ma belle-mère (my mother-in-law's pillow!) and insists upon multiplying in the oddest ways.

I have several that have produced dozens of babies. So I cut off plastic pop bottles and planted them, then tucked them into my kitchen patio garden.

And some of the succulents are blooming.
The bathroom set, which a friend gave me when she remodeled, has finally found a place along the alley garden. An empty spot between two fig trees seems ideal. I constructed a bamboo trellis for a jasmine plant. After removing the broken feet, I painted the outside of the tub and admired its solid cast iron construction. Then three strong, young men moved it onto cement-filled cement blocks.
I would have liked to mosaic it, however, I'm trying to be realistic about how much I can work into a day. I'm still testing positions for the tank, toilet, and sink.


More cleaning out and my next project: This old stove requires serious recycling. 


My husband says it can't be planted. 

Hmmfffff. 

Now I have to prove him wrong.

23 comments:

Ms. said...

Resplendent indeed....what a lovely thing to have space for your creative horticultural constructions. How you make such good use of it all. I smiled at the g too and the foot, and foot-stones. I would love to know what you painted the old iron bathtub with. Mine is so old it has many areas where absolutely no porcelain is left. The super told me I have to hire someone to sand blast, then use acid and finally paint it with an acrylic polimer--but the LL won't pay for it, and I called around ny only to find the cheapest 'treatment was $600 which I can not afford at all. It's my oneand only tub and I have to use it to bathe. Any ideas?

rtquilter said...

GOODNESS, nadia! Where DO you get the energy? I am always totally amazed by you and your fabulous projects!

Well done you!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thank you for the wonderful tour through all of your spring garden. That patio is wonderful. The wire cage gives me an idea for a 2 tier area for all of my cacti outside this coming summer. It might keep the squirrels out of them too.

blandina said...

A wonderful collection of plants, I normally do not like succulents but I have to admit that your garden looks wonderful.
I admire how you are able to recycle old pieces and bits, and it maks me smile.

Radka said...

Ahhh, spring, may we will get one soon :-)

MulticoloredPieces said...

Thanks to all for your kind comments. This is one of those posts that I hope will bring a bit of cheer. As for the energy, I guess I inherited it from my mother (a very energetic person). For your old bathtub, Michelle: I painted only the bottom (the cast iron side), not the porcelain inside. That being said, if you're not looking for a super-duper-professional looking job, you could try what I did. I first painted with an oil-base anti-rust paint after taking sand paper to rusty spots. Then I applied three layers of an oil-base enamel paint. I have no idea how long this would last, but it certainly wouldn't cost $600!

Cate Rose said...

Your container garden always amazes me, especially your inventiveness in creating homes for the planties. Are you planning to plant out that tub? Or will it be a pond for water plants? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Happy Spring, Nadia.

Nancy said...

Wow your garden looks amazing! I can sure see why you associate White with heat and glare!
I love all of your succulents. I had a funny plant once (I think it was a succulent) that would send of roots from each notch around the edge of the leaf. You could sit it on a window sill, let the roots start and then plant it! I was always amazed by that little plant.
Thank you for sharing your garden!

Nikki said...

Delightful!

Els said...

Your kitchen garden looks great Nadia. Great to step out of the house and see this !!!!

mokrasouth said...

Did I spot a single begonia among all your succulents? Your plantings are inspirational. I may expand my small collection of succulents this summer if I can find a good variety. So far I haven't killed the few I have. Of course, mine will be in plain clay pots since I don't have nearly the energy you do. But I like their simplicity - or so I tell myself to excuse my laziness.

I can't wait to see what you do with the oven!

Carole Reid said...

Nadia, the queen of container gardening and repurposing everything! Your mosaic pieces look especially beautiful amongst your reclaimed pots etc. I'm excited to see how you'll prove your husband wrong! Thanks for sharing all this joy with us. xo Carole

coco said...

lucky to came across your blog this morning. your plants and the way you arranged in each pot are so lovely. thanks for sharing.
love,
coco

Unknown said...

Nadia, I love wandering in your succulent garden, and hope you will find a way to 'plant' the old range! I can almost see vegetation spilling out from the door. xxoo, sus

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, Nadia, you make me smile. I love how you're squeezing uses out of so many things that would just get tossed. And you're making each one beautiful. Can't wait to see more.

libbyquilter said...

your cactus and succulent garden is amazing and your creativity so much fun~!!~

we are just beginning to get some warmer temperatures here and my crocus are so pretty in yellows, oranges and purples with one lone white flower. soon i'll have daffodils and tulips~!

:-)
libbyQ

Merilyn said...

It is so obvious that you love your garden and your plants know it!!!! All these recycled objects look just wonderful, and the succulents seem very happy in their little homes!!! Bravo to you for the time, love and energy you put into your environment, I wish some of it would rub off onto me LOL!!!!!

liz said...

It's always a joy to look at your blog (and read it too). Pictures are glorious and your ideas so eclectic.

Norma Schlager said...

Here in CT we're still aways from gardening time. The only thing you can plant safely now is pansies and I have done that. Can't wait to get my succulents out of hibernation. You are an inspiration, as usual.

Carol said...

Love all your niches, and vignettes. I'm still finding things for my drought tolerant garden in front and the back area. It is so much fun repurposing things.

Tonya Ricucci said...

gorgeous garden - love it! that foot planter is such a hoot. looking forward to the bathroom and oven conversions.

jeanne hewell-chambers said...

what fun. can't wait to see what you do with the stove. you'll find something that bakes up a batch of smiles.

Jeremy Beauregard said...

I find your outdoor area interesting because there's a variety of cool items that I never thought would be present there particularly the shells. Haha! But I have to say that your collection is a wonderful addition to your patio. I like the plant table too! The pots you've used for each plant are very lovely. The design made these plants even more attractive.

Jeremy Beauregard